Please select - dropdown box

How to create a non-selectable placeholder in a CF7 dropdown.

Overview

The issue occurs because the placeholder option, like 'Please Select', is being submitted as form data.
Add a new option with empty text and set a validation rule to block empty submissions. To prevent the placeholder from appearing in emails, assign it a value like '0' and use the Alternative Data behavior to replace that value with an empty string in the email content.

Answered
ChronoForms v7
gi gilliancowe 18 May, 2022
Hi,
​
Using Chronoforms7 how do I achieve the equivalent of the 'Show Empty' setting in a dropdown field in Chronoforms 4.
​
For example 'Show Empty' was set to 'Please Select' so that would appear at the top of the dropdown, but couldn't be selected as an option in the dropdown.
​
I'm definitely missing something!
​
Thanks.
Co Colnem 18 May, 2022
Answer
Hi
​
1 - You Add A New Option with empty Value and Please Select Text
2 - You add a validation to prohibit the empty value
gi gilliancowe 18 May, 2022
Thank you so much Colnem, feeling a little bamboozled with V7. The videos don't have any of the things I need and I can't seem to find and documentation.
gi gilliancowe 18 May, 2022
I have another question about this. I have two address areas on my form, one for the user, one for their vet details. The vet address details are not required fields.
​
V4 form can be seen here https://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/need-our-help
​
V7 form is set up as follows:-
​
I have dropdown vet_region that is not required.
I have the first value as NULL (empty box), text is set to 'Please Select'.
​
In V4 nothing would be sent in email, just a blank field. V7 sends 'Please Select'. How do I stop this?
​
Thank you.
Co Colnem 18 May, 2022
Modify Option Please Select, adding Value = 0 (for example)
​
In Behaviors/Data, add an Alternative Data
In Add New Alt Data Set:
Data scope: Email content
Add New Value:
     Rule =                               Field Value =0                               New Value (let to empty)
gi gilliancowe 18 May, 2022
Thank you Colnem, I would never have figured this out, I really appreciate your help.
This topic is locked and no more replies can be posted.