Forums

What is the mod_chronoforms used for?

kimhuff 28 Apr, 2011
I have been trying to figure out how to use ChronoForms for my situation. I see there is a mod_chronoforms. It asks for the form name. What is this and do you have to have one for each form?

I did view the video tutorial made by a member.. VERY NICE by the way. But, I would prefer to create a custom form the way I want and let ChronoForms handle the posting of the form? My concern is I have a certain way I want things to look and I am not sure that is possible with the way a form is created.

Does anyone have sample forms they have created that is beyond a basic form? I am planning on making something completely different than a contact form.
GreyHead 28 Apr, 2011
Hi KIm,

The ChronoForms module is used for displaying ChronoForms in template modules.

Each form does have a name and it should be unique.

You can use your own HTML in ChronoForms and it will probably work as long as it is well-formed.

There are all kinds of forms created using ChronoForms; if you Google "Powered by ChronoForms" you will get about 2.6 million results - quite a few of these are forms of one kind or another.

Bob
cgoodwin 28 Apr, 2011
I'm not sure if this is what you mean about the custom code, but it took me a little bit to figure out. Basically, you need to use the Wizard and the standard editing modes to do this. If you start your form with the "New" button, you can put your code in by hand (make sure "Custom" is selected under "Form Type"). If you want to configure emails, Captcha, add JavaScript, or anything else, then save it and click on "Wizard Edit" on the Forms Manager page. You can toggle between the easy and advanced modes from within the wizard. The preview tab should have a red warning saying you're using a custom form and can't add or edit fields within the wizard (make sure that message is there before you mess with anything else. I accidentally overwrote a form by choosing "Wizard" instead of "Custom" in the form type.) If you want to edit your html code further, just click on the form name in the Forms Manager.

Or, you can do it the other way: Start with the wizard and configure everything BUT the HTML, then, after saving, you can click on the form name in the Forms Manager and add your HTML code there (making sure you switch to "custom"). If you do it this way, you can start adding some fields when you're in the wizard and then edit the code it generates when you get to this window. Again, make sure you switch the form type to "custom," or you'll probably lose whatever custom stuff you did if you go back to the wizard.

I'm figuring this out on my own, so my apologies if I'm taking a roundabout way I don't need to. I'm trying to recreate my forms from V3, so I need to just be able to paste my code in (and then mess around with the other options and settings). Hope this helps, though!
kimhuff 02 Jun, 2011
I would like to create a Joomla article with a custom form. I would then like ChronosForms to take care of the GET/POST for that form. Is this possible or do you have to use the wizard?
Max_admin 03 Jun, 2011
Hi,

Please explain this : "I would then like ChronosForms to take care of the GET/POST for that form." ?

Regards,
Max
Max
ChronoForms developer...
Did you try ChronoMyAdmin for managing your Joomla database tables ?
kimhuff 28 Jun, 2011
First let me apologize for the delay in writing back. We have had some difficult times here and I just have not had the time to figure out what was wrong.

What I meant by the GET/POST was I would like to create a form via HTML inside an article and then let Chrono take care of the processing for that form. Meaning not use your wizard to create the form. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, I find the backend very confusing and does not allow for complete customization. Maybe I am just not getting how the backend really works but the only way I could figure out how to get the form to look how I want it to was to allow me to create the form in HTML.

Thank you again for your assistance.
GreyHead 29 Jun, 2011
Hi Kim,

The answer is yes and no.

You could possibly do with a bit of hassle and some custom PHP* this but I'm not sure why you would want to.

You can build your own Form HTML in a ChronoForms form and then add that into your article with the ChronoForms plug-in- this should get you exactly the same result but a lot more easily.

Bob

* ChronoForms includes some built in checks to make sure that the form is submitted by the same user that opened it. You'd need to reproduce these to let ChronoForms handle the form submission.
This topic is locked and no more replies can be posted.