Bann IPs from sending Chronoforms V6

va vanzini 31 Mar, 2020
Hi, I am and have so for a while now, receiving empty mail with just the sender IP from IPs that I have, as well as over 1000 others, signalled in AbuseIPDB
and
I have added the following script on top of the Load Actions, and as this did not make any difference I have moved the script to top of the Load Actions - but still these mails are come through. I have added my own IP and it gets blocked.
​
<?php

$banned_ips = array(
'46.229.168.129','46.229.168.131','46.229.168.132','46.229.168.133','46.229.168.134','46.229.168.135','46.229.168.136','46.229.168.137'
);

$ip_address = JRequest::getString( 'REMOTE_ADDR', '', 'server' );
if ( in_array($ip_address, $banned_ips) ) {
$app = JFactory::getApplication();
$app->redirect('index.php');
}
?>

Does anybody have any experience or idea with regards to these kind of abuses?
​
kind regards
Daniele
Gr GreyHead 31 Mar, 2020
Hi Daniele,
​
I'd suggest that you use an event switcher, ChronoForms should capture the User IP address for you (add a Debugger to check what the data item is called). Then you can block - for example all addresses starting with 46.229.168. I guess that you have checked to be sure that this isn't the address of your own host as sometimes there are security checks run that test all URLs on a site and these can trigger false emails.
​
Bob
va vanzini 31 Mar, 2020
Very many thanks Bob,
I will have a go and try and hope to set something working as I have absolutely no experience on switcher or similar and I hope the tutorial is of help to me as my technical knowledge is rather limited.
Yes, I have checked the IPs - they are all signaled as abusers and actually I have many more of them.
Should you come accross an example of a setting for event switching to block certain IPs from sending - you would make me very happy.
Have a nice day
kind regards
Daniele
he healyhatman 31 Mar, 2020
The data item is called {ip:}
​
If you want to go with an array, you would have a PHP block let's say called "is_banned". Check if $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is in the array of banned IPs, return true / false, then have your event switcher look at {var:is_banned}
​
And you're better off doing this on a server level anyway - ban those IPs from your entire site, not just your form. Make sure they're not VPN ips though
va vanzini 03 Apr, 2020
Thanks healyhatman,
I have done - got the event switcher working - but I am still getting some empty mail - so now I am working on the settings of the firewall.
Many thanks again
and have a good time without coronovirus 🙂
Daniele
This topic is locked and no more replies can be posted.