Forums

Still can't figure out ho w to create a Joomla article for Chronoforms V6

Reqvu 28 Nov, 2018
Sorry I saw somewhere in the forums that you can contact the site for the "action" package for creating but did that 5 days ago and have no reply. I'm not a coder and I can't find any explicit instructions for a v6 custom code you can add that does it also. I could probably modify a custom code with my own database table info if it were made available. I need to create a title, full article text, a full article image and ideally be able to use other form text fields to add other info into the full article or custom fields of a joomla article.

I've been a happily paying customer for years , for many sites (and will do so again for this new site if I can use Chronoforms to create articles) but now it feels like this product is going backwards in functionality.
healyhatman 28 Nov, 2018
There's no "create article" action in v6.
https://www.chronoengine.com/forums/posts/t103873/create-article-with-chronoform-v6

There USED TO be a "submit article" action, but from what I read that was for Joomla 2.x and with the changes made in 3.x it's not really feasible. You'll have to do it yourself or have someone else do it for you. Like me.
Reqvu 28 Nov, 2018
So there is no way to do this??
healyhatman 28 Nov, 2018
There is, but not with a simple "post to article" function. You'll have to do it yourself with save data actions and whatnot.
Reqvu 28 Nov, 2018
How much do I have to donate to get your help to create that form?🙂
healyhatman 28 Nov, 2018
1 Likes
Let me check how complicated it is and get back to you.
healyhatman 28 Nov, 2018
I have a basic one created now, with selectable article category (including a notice for each one that's unpublished). Trying to trace down the origin of a PHP error though that happens when you save an article - fatal error, but the article is still correctly saved.

I won't be able to use the Joomla media manager to select images though - you'd have to either upload the image for each article you create or manually enter the location of the image.
Reqvu 28 Nov, 2018
So my site will be a user generated content site.... so the users fill out forms (or variations on the same form with different fields) depending on the category they choose. Ideally this would create articles with the right content in the right categories. Naturally I'd like them to submit images with their content. So the big struggle I think is how to get an image attached to a form added to the right article ID as the main article image position as its a media content item and would need the appropriate URL added in the article item. So I suppose the first question is can that problem be solved?

To format the content??? I'm hoping I can use the title (fine) via a text field, fulltext (fine) via a text area, and then if that category has more info ... a business address entered into yet another text field but mapped to ?? created custom fields? So I guess the 2nd question to solve this issue of creating an article from a form is can you data save (map) to custom fields?
healyhatman 28 Nov, 2018
Yes you can map to custom fields but we're talking a lot more time and a bunch more money. What you're after in total is not really "demo form" material it's a lot more complicated.
Reqvu 28 Nov, 2018
I suppose I better check out the content construction kits.... was hoping to use Chronoforms since I'm more familiar with it. Thanks anyway.
healyhatman 03 Dec, 2018
So all you *really* need to do is add your article fields to the #__content table. For the images field, you use a JSON string to of the filenames with the path from the web root folder. So if you have images in /server/public_html/my_site/images then:
{"image_intro":"images\/intro_image.png","float_intro":"","image_intro_alt":"","image_intro_caption":"","image_fulltext":"","float_fulltext":"","image_fulltext_alt":"","image_fulltext_caption":""}
This topic is locked and no more replies can be posted.