How to display the Sum of two Fields

ON ONERO 30 May, 2018
Good Day,
​
I have a form where a user can select a Purchase Price from a dropdown field and a Bond Price from a second dropdown field.
The related cost estimates for each are displayed when the user submits the form but I would like to show a grand total as well (Purchase Price + Bond Price = Total).
Field one is named: {purchase} and field two: {bond}.
Up to this point everything is working as it should but I lack the knowledge of the syntax to display the Grand Total.
​
This is what I am trying to achieve: Your Total for Registration Estimate : {purchase} + {bond} = ([purchase]+[bond]). Please excuse incorrect syntax of the last bit!
Can someone please assist or point me to a document or page that can be of assistance?
​
Kind regards,
​
Liz
Gr GreyHead 30 May, 2018
1 Likes
Hi Liz,
​
Please see the PHP Code section on page 34 of the CFv6 manual.
​
Bob
ON ONERO 30 May, 2018
Dear Bob,
​
Thank you so much for you quick response.
I read through the page you suggested and came up with the following solution:
​
<?php
$purchase = $_POST['purchase'];
$bond = $_POST['bond'];
$total = $purchase + $bond;
?>
<h2 style="color:#9B1C1F;">Your Total for Registration Estimate :R {purchase} + R {bond} = <?php echo "R ". $total; ?></h2>
​
That looks like this on the front-end:
​[h2]Your Total for Registration Estimate :R 28648 + R 18808 = R 47456[/h2]
Now I just need to figure out how to insert decimal spaces and commas since these are currency values but I am sure I will find something on the net.
​
Kind regards,
​
Liz
Gr GreyHead 30 May, 2018
1 Likes
Hi Liz,
​
I see that you are using CFv5, not v6 - sorry I didn't spot that before.
​
ChronoForms adds the form data to the $form->data array so you can use that in place of $_POST if you prefer.
​
For the formatting you should be able to use the PHP number_format() or money_format() methods.
​
Bob
ON ONERO 30 May, 2018
Dear Bob,
​
My mistake, I didn't mention that I was using CFv5 in my original post, so it's all good.
I just needed someone to point me in the right direction and that is what you so did. From there I was able to search online and find the correct syntax.
​
You are right, I found the number_format() method online and this is now what my code looks like:
<h2 style="color:#9B1C1F;">Your Registration Estimate</h2>
<p>Transfer Costs: <?php echo "R ". number_format("$purchase",2,",","."); ?><br />Bond Costs: <?php echo "R ". number_format("$bond",2,",","."); ?></p>
<p>Total: <?php echo "R ". number_format("$total",2,",","."); ?></p>
​
It is working perfectly and I am happy to report that I truly did learn something new today!
​
Thanks so much for all your advise and guiding me in the right direction.
​
Liz
This topic is locked and no more replies can be posted.