Buy Now
Sign in

Email not sent

mbeedub , November 05 2007, 05:30
M
mbeedub 9
November 05 2007, 05:30 #3430
This is a phenomenal component. Now if only I can get it to send emails. Seems to be a common problem tho. I've read through all the posts I could find on this.

Am on Joomla 1.0.12 and have just downloaded latest version of ChronoForms. Have installed the basic form exactly using the restore procedure set out at http://tinyurl.com/2vrpf5. (great procedure by the way).

Didn't change any of the settings for this other than putting in a valid email as stated in the procedure. I get the following debug:

==============================

_POST: Array ( [name] => Noddy [email] => [email]noddy@noddy.com[/email] [submit] => Submit )
Case 1: Use table layout
E-mail: 'Yes' custom
Email not sent

E-mail message
To: [email]admin@mysite.com[/email]
Subject: ChronoForms test

name Noddy
email [email]noddy@noddy.com[/email]
submit Submit

Submitted by 84.92.163.55

==============================

Note: I've changed my email to [email]admin@mysite.com[/email].

I've tried changing the global settings for mail for PHP Mail Funcion/Sendmail/SMTP server but it had no effect.

It maybe that my site can't send emails but as it's hosted I'm not sure how I can test this.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Attachments
listboxtest.rar
(2.24 KiB)
37 Downloads/Views
GreyHead 64
November 05 2007, 06:12 #3431
Hi mbeedub,

If it's a hosted site then it can almost certainly send e-mails.

Check first with an ordinary Joomla content page and click on the 'Email' icon at the top right (assuming it's set on). This should email a link to the page.

Most likely it won't work as the 'Email not sent' message is an error from the Joomla mailer. Unfortunately the mailer doesn't give any more helpful diagnostics!

Everything else in the debug report looks OK so we are down to two main possibilities, either the site email isn't configured properly, or the domain name you've set for the return address isn't accepted by your mail server (some will only allow their own domains).

Sorry, I can't be much more help with this.

Bob
ChronoForms technical support
If you'd like to buy me a coffee or two, thank you very much
M
mbeedub 9
November 05 2007, 06:22 #3432
Hi Bob

Thanks for that.

When I try the email link from a content page I just keep getting the popup with the following message:

"You must enter your valid e-mail and the valid e-mail to send to."

It must be passing the Javascript test in the page:

if (form.email.value == "" || form.youremail.value == ""«») {

So is the server coming back with something else.

Any thoughts?

Martin
M
mbeedub 9
November 05 2007, 06:44 #3433
OH ****!

I've just found out from my hosting company that I "will not be able to use the Joomla application to send Email through the mail server".

Why they don't tell you that when they give you Joomla, I've no idea.

But now I'm really stuck... I need to have this site up and running in the next few days.

The hosting company's support tell me I can send email and have provided a link to some code examples:

http://kb.brinkster.com/Kb.asp?kb=107593I

I've done a fair bit of ASP but virtually no PHP and have run out of time.

If anyone's got any good suggestions on how I might tie this all in I'd be very happy to hear it.

Thanks
GreyHead 64
November 05 2007, 14:29 #3434
Hi mbeedub,

Not a helpful reply (I love ASP error messages!). I guess the right KB article is here If I read that correctly then all should be OK. Go to 'Global Configuration' for your Joomla site and click the 'Mail' tab. Complete the form like this:
+++++
Mailer: SMTP Server
Mail from: [email]you@yourdomain.com[/email]
From Name: Your Name
Sendmail path:
SMTP Auth: Yes
SMTP User: [email]you@yourdomain.com[/email]
SMTP Pass: EmailPassword
SMTP Host: mail.yourdomain.com
+++++

Bob

PS There are some slightly different instructions here for PHPBB (uses a different SMTP Host). I think either should work.
M
mbeedub 9
November 05 2007, 20:38 #3436
Hi Bob

Thanks so much for at least trying to help. I've been chatting with Brinkster support.

I'll attach a text file of the full chat. But the bottom line is that they seem to be saying that they will allow email to be sent but that I have to "patch" Joomla.

I guess we're kind of off topic now as this isn't the fault of ChronoForms so I'm happy to take this to the Joomla forums if that's the best place for it.

Alhtough if you do have any suggestions...

Thanks again
[file name=brinksterchat.txt size=3103]http://www.chronoengine.com/components/com_fireboard/uploaded/files/brinksterchat.txt[/file]<br><br>Post edited by: mbeedub, at: 2007/11/05 15:39
GreyHead 64
November 05 2007, 21:21 #3440
Hi mbeedub,

I read the chat, it all sounds pretty much what I'd expect. If you set Joomla up as I wrote below 'and' you make sure that the From address you use in ChronoForms is the same 'approved' address then - as far as I can see - it should work OK.

Bob
M
mbeedub 9
November 05 2007, 21:42 #3445
Eureka!

Thanks Bob. It's working.

So to summarise for anyone else:

If you are using Joomla hosted with Brinkster.com and you're having trouble with email being send the key is to ensure that the global configuration settings and your ChronoForms "from" address are exactly the same.

In Joomla:

+++++
Mailer: SMTP Server
Mail from: [email]you@yourdomain.com[/email]
From Name: Your Name
Sendmail path:
SMTP Auth: Yes
SMTP User: [email]you@yourdomain.com[/email]
SMTP Pass: EmailPassword
SMTP Host: mail.yourdomain.com
+++++

In ChronoForms:
On the General Tab

From Address: [email]you@yourdomain.com[/email]

Where

[email]you@yourdomain.com[/email] is a valid email account in your Brinkster
account

EmailPassword is the password used to login to that email account

mail.yourdomain.com is the Brinkster mail server for your email account.

Thanks again Bob, now I get on with using the amazing component.

Cheers