Buy Now
Sign in

Form validation in IE7

andrew40 , September 17 2007, 22:56
A
andrew40 12
September 17 2007, 22:56 #2272
Installed the latest version, compiled a simple form which works perfectly in FF and shows OK in IE7.

However the form validation when user clicks download in IE7 and proceeds to download page. Email does get sent but is blank [because form not filled in].

any ideas.

Link is http://www.claremontgardens.co.uk and click the download button to get to form..

thanks
admin 28
September 18 2007, 02:43 #2281
Hi Andrew,

I see this, but there is some JS errors in the page (use FirFox extension FireBug to see them), any JS error will make problems with the validation as its in JS too!!

Cheers

Max
Max
If your main question got answered then please mark the answer using the button!
Please let us know if you have any problems with the new forums text editor, we appreciate your feedback!
A
andrew40 12
September 18 2007, 03:22 #2284
Thanks, but the javascript works in FF?

The js errors refer to different javascript files. I am using the chronoform inbuilt validation and don't see how this would effect IE7?

The js files used are the standard ones used in Joomla, namely slimbox.js and validation.js and they are not used on this page..
admin 28
September 18 2007, 03:27 #2286
Hi Andrew,

The validation should work fine in both FF and IE, the IE7 is showing a js error, the Firebug does too, please fix them and Iam sure all will be fine

by the way, something at your template is using the mootools.js file, this may make some interference with the validation js files too!!

Cheers

Max
Max
If your main question got answered then please mark the answer using the button!
Please let us know if you have any problems with the new forums text editor, we appreciate your feedback!
A
andrew40 12
September 19 2007, 14:31 #2334
So are you saying you cannot use mootools with form validation? As a lot of Joomla sites now use Mootools then this would make it extremely hard to use form validation.

Not sure how to fix slimbox and the joomla validation.js as this is inbuilt into Joomla and may affect other areas?
admin 28
September 19 2007, 16:40 #2338
Hi Andrew,

The validation in Chronoforms is using another popular library lled : prototype/scriptaculous , you cant use both prototype/scriptaculous and mootools at the same page, for some explaination please read this :

http://forum.mootools.net/viewtopic.php?id=1964#post-9356

I wish this answers all your questions ?

Cheers

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 19 2007, 17:23 #2343
thanks, that explains it but how do I remove mootools.js from just one page?
admin 28
September 19 2007, 20:13 #2344
If the refernce line is hardcodes in the template file then you will need to switch it off with some PHP code in the template file index.php :

if($option == 'com_chronocontact'){

if its loaded in am odules then you can turn off modules at this page!

Cheers

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 20 2007, 21:34 #2362
Done all this and stopped the javascripts running on the page of the form.

Still does not work in IE7)
admin 28
September 21 2007, 00:54 #2372
Andrew, I agree, Just a question, how do you get the "Download now" image to submit the form, it seems that problem is here, look at IE7 status bar area once you click the image, a js error icon appears, can your replace this image with a normal submit button and see ? if it works then take your time to fix the image code

Cheers

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 21 2007, 15:11 #2387
Ok, have changed the image to a form button, same thing happens in IE7..
admin 28
September 21 2007, 23:49 #2398
Hi Andrew,

I see, this needs some debugging so you know where this js error appears, by default the validation doesn't give errors and work well on FF and IE versions.

Sincerely,

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 22 2007, 00:06 #2400
It appears as it is a chronoengine js error, as the form script works perfectly well on its own with no errors. Its a very simple form...

there is no javascript other than chronoengine running now..
admin 28
September 22 2007, 07:03 #2403
Hi Andrew,

I agree there is no javascript but Chronoforms one now, however Iam sure the validation code runs very well on IE7, want to make sure ? run it with the default joomla template

anyway, there MUST be something wrong with the HTML source of your page, I searched the error appears in IE7 and there may be too many reasons for this like unclosed tags...etc so you should start trial and error till you get it

Best regards,

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 26 2007, 14:22 #2477
Still can't get to the bottom of it, as the form appears to work correctly in sll other browsers.
A
andrew40 12
September 26 2007, 14:46 #2478
Here is my form script as entered into the form code box in chronforms and using the inbuilt validator.

<style type="text/css">
<!--
div.chronoform {display:none;}

.manageField {
  padding-bottom:70px;
}
.contactLeft {
  float:left;
  width:50%;
}
.contactLeft p {font-size:11px;}
.contactLeft input {margin-top:2px;width:80%;}
.contactRight {
  float:right;
  width:45%;
}
.quote {
  margin:5px 0 15px 20px;
  padding:10px;
  border:«»solid 1px #86cf51;
  border-top:0;border-bottom:0;
  background:#edffe9;
  font-size:10px !important;
  line-height:160%;
  color:#8f8c8c;
  float:left;
}
input, textarea {
  border:«»solid 1px #CCC;
  font-size:18px;
  font-weight:normal;
  color:#777;
  padding:2px 4px;
}

.style3 {color: #FF00FF}
-->
</style>
<div class="contactLeft">
<h4 class="style1">Please enter your details so we can send you further information.</h4>
<p>First & Last Name<br />
<input type="text" name="name" value="" />
<span class="style3">*</span></p>
<p>Address 1<br />
<input type="text" name="Address1" value="" />
<p>Address 2<br />
<input type="text" name="Address2" value="" /></p>
<p>Town / City<br />
<input type="text" name="town" value="" />
<p>Post Code<br />
<input type="text" name="pcode" value="" />
  <p>Email Address<br />
<input type="text" name="email" value="" />
<p>Telephone Number<br />
<input type="text" name="phone" value="" />
<p>How did you hear about us?<br />
<input type="text" name="hear" value="" /></p>
</div> <div class="contactRight">

<div class="quote">
<h3>What else can we help you with?</h3>

<h4><font color="#000000"><strong>Royal Bay Claremont</strong></font></h4>
<p> 86 Barrick Lane<br />
Aldwick<br />
Bognor Regis, W.Sussex PO21 4DG<br />
T – 0800 027 7222<br />
<br />
<strong>For General Inquiries, contact:</strong></p>
<p><strong><font color="#00ccff">Vivianne Messiah </font></strong><br />

M – 0800 027 7222 <br />
E – <a href="mailto:info@claremontgardens.co.uk">info@claremontgardens.co.uk</a></p>
<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
<br />
<span class="style3">*Required Fields </span>
</div> </div>
<br><br>Post edited by: admin, at: 2007/09/26 13:57
admin 28
September 26 2007, 18:02 #2482
Hi Andrew,

Looking at the code I can't see anything wrong, do you have any joomla test site with the default template ? test it there and if your code works then there is some problem with your template!!:)

Cheers

Max
Max
A
andrew40 12
September 28 2007, 18:12 #2515
I have spoken to a developer and the template guys and there reply was this,

"Well, the template is not loading any scripts to conflict with the forms on that page so it cannot be a conflict with the template"

I have tested it on a blank joomla install and it does the same...
admin 28
September 28 2007, 19:23 #2520
Hi Andrew,

try to replace the scripts folder then inside components/com_chronocontact/js/ may be some files are corrupted, Iam sure the validation works at FF,IE6,7 ,OPERA , I tested this myself earlier and made it on many websites too!!

also please try to clear your browser cache may be it causes the error on the blank joomla install too.

Cheers

Max
Max
C
craigs 13
January 23 2008, 04:56 #5124
admin wrote:
If the reference line is hardcodes in the template file then you will need to switch it off with some PHP code in the template file index.php :
if($option == 'com_chronocontact'){
if its loaded in a module then you can turn off modules at this page!
This may be out of the scope of the problem but I just developed this problem.

I want to include the JS file for Slimbox in only certain pages that are in the com_content section. Is there a variable I could reference to see what category I am in in the index.php file. That is something similar to the $option variable.

Thanks

Edited to clean up quote<br><br>Post edited by: GreyHead, at: 2008/01/23 18:44
Attachments
ChronoForms v4 action if_then_else_s.zip
(2.67 KiB)
39 Downloads/Views