Buy Now
Sign in

Best way to save repeater area data in a database table

farscape , January 13 at 00:43
Answered
F
farscape
I have a form that uses a repeater area, and want to save it in a database table. When I use the Create Table function, the default column names include the reference to the iteration key, but the data does not save. I cannot find anything in the manual or forum that explains how you save the repeater data. I assume that there is no option to normalize the data in multiple tables.

Do I I simply need to create columns for each iteration? That is, if my form has firstname{var:area_repeater10.key}, lastname{var:area_repeater10.key}, phone{var:area_repeater10.key}, I need to create columns for firstname1, lastname1, phone1, firstname2, etc?

Thanks!
NickOg
I am not sure if this will help but I use a repeater to save a variable length list of dates. I use these functions

function packDates($formData) {
$datesPacked = NULL;
foreach ($formData as $key => $value) {
if (substr($key, 0, 11) == 'nmClassDate') {
$datesPacked .= substr($value, 0, 10) . '|';
}
}
return substr($datesPacked, 0, -1);
}
function packAndCleanUp(& $thisData) {
$packedDates = packDates($thisData);
$thisData['packedDates'
  • = $packedDates;
    return NULL;
    }

• and then save the packed set of dates into a single field 'packedDates'
    You would need the reverse of course
      function unpackDates($packedDates) {
    /** explode the incoming string into an array by | separator * */
    $unpackDatesScratch = explode('|', $packedDates);
    $unpackDates = array();
    /** convert each date item to dd-mm-yyy form for the date picker * */
    foreach ($unpackDatesScratch as $aDate) {
    $unpackDates = date('d-m-Y', strtotime($aDate));
    }
    /** return array to the form * */
    return $unpackDates;
    }

The principal should work for any other data I think.
    Regards

Nick
    GreyHead
    Hi farscape,

The most common way to save repeated data from form is to use a second table linked to the first by the new record id.

You can use multiple columns but they is harder to read and re-use; or you can json-encode the data and save it to a single text column - that's simple to do but not so easy to search later.

Bob
    ChronoForms technical support
    If you'd like to buy me a coffee or two, thank you very much
    F
    farscape
    Thanks NickOg and Bob. I'm afraid that I'm not up to the skill levels that you are and am up against a deadline, so I am having to compromise this time around and limit the output to an email, but that's leading me to another question that I hope is within my abilities. I'm posting it separately because while related, it's different.

Thanks again.
    GreyHead
    Hi farscape,

Using a second table does take a little work to create the table but there is no coding or special knowledge required.

Bob
    ChronoForms technical support
    If you'd like to buy me a coffee or two, thank you very much
    F
    farscape
    I don't mind the work. So does CF6 handles the joins automatically? Is there any documentation on how you can set CF6 to write the repeater area fields to the second table?
    F
    farscape
    Bob, Sorry to be such a dolt, but how do you capture the new record ID? I can't find anything in the manual or the forum.
    F
    farscape
    OK, I finally have a simple form that saves the repeating rows - sort of. I adapted the simple contact form to capture multiple emails using a repeater area, and then . It saves to the database a row for each email I create, but the value for email in every row of the table is always the first value I entered. I tried to mimic the loop event example in the manual exactly, but obviously I am missing something. I've attached the form and my debugger shows what should be expected.

Array
    (
    [option] => com_chronoforms6
    [cont] => manager
    [chronoform] => repeater
    [event] => submit
    [Modela] => Array
    (
    [0] => Array
    (
    [email] => a@b.com
    )

[1] => Array
    (
    [email] => b@c.com
    )

[2] => Array
    (
    [email] => c@d.com
    )

)

[button7] =>
    [_ga] => GA1.2.226007831.1505575861
    [_gid] => GA1.2.2069064078.1516157373
    [joomla_user_state] => logged_in
    [e9500eaa5818cf303cc3488675b7798a] => lDntIMFtuX5jQLz0aSgUr1
    [b7641e2ed7efee042adee21593901dd3] => Qe-RKRyUTZhDZz,WLAaJ-0
    [__atuvc] => 0|48,5|49,13|50,1|51,10|3
    [d3afdd8bd0d018da056b0d2c45021e09] => UyR9eO,ijStuUweIThbcD3
    [ec3e5ab2c77c5e545fc9f1f89eee2121] => EqmKcLvACIV,l5xfAE8K40
    Attachments
    Repeater_20_Jan_2018_19_55_36.cf6bak
    (5.13 KiB)
    44 Downloads/Views
    F
    farscape

Max provided the solutions in a separate thread: In the Save Data action that is inside the Loop Event action, turn off "Auto Save Fields"

. Thanks Max!
    F
    farscape

Max provided the solutions in a separate thread: In the Save Data action that is inside the Loop Event action, turn off "Auto Save Fields"

. Thanks Max!